Fun With Phonics! Using research-based methods to turn kids into better readers, writers and spellers.
Research has found that successful readers are able to do two things very well. They:
- Phonetically sound out unfamiliar words.
- Recognize a wide range of sight words. These are words that do not follow phonetic rules and simply need to be memorized by a child.
At Fun with Phonics, children learn both of these skills in a fun and nurturing environment.
Every week your child will:
- Receive individual phonics instruction with the phonics program used by reading specialists in the top NYC schools.
- Move on to new words/skills. Each week your child will be provided with his or her own personalized, fun activities to bring home so that he or she can practice these words and skills.
- Play phonics and sight word games.
- Read out loud from books individually selected for his or her level.
Director: Irene Daria, MA, Ph.D. candidate. Trained at Teacher’s College and the New School for Social Research.
Hours: Monday to Friday. 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Location: Union Square.
Fee: $75 for a one-hour semi-private lesson. $125 for a private lesson.
Recommended: A one-hour session you and your child attend together so that an individual lesson plan can be set up for your child and so that you are fully aware of what your child will be doing during his or her tutoring sessions and of how you can support your child at home. Fee: $125.